Smedley Law Group Logo


17. Modifications and Terminations

Gloucester County Modification and Termination Lawyers Located in Woodbury, NJ

Top-Rated Modification and Termination Attorneys in Woodbury, NJ Help Clients With Child Support, Child Custody, and Alimony Agreements in Gloucester County and Throughout South Jersey

Divorce is rarely simple. Divorce proceedings focus on reaching an agreement on any number of complex and important issues that will impact the rest of your life. Child custody, child support, and spousal support are three of the most important issues you must resolve before a divorce agreement can be finalized. If you’re like most people, you may have breathed a sigh of relief once those agreements were finally reached.

Unfortunately, life doesn’t stand still. Changing circumstances over time can require a reevaluation of previously-agreed upon issues. It can be just as difficult to reach an agreement with your former spouse over how to modify or end an existing agreement.  

Our knowledgeable family law attorneys at Smedley Law Group, P.C. can help with any modifications or terminations that may be necessary based upon changes in your life. We understand how challenging it can be to return to the drawing board with a former spouse. Our attorneys are skilled mediators who can help you and your former spouse explore every available option that might help your family.

If you’re considering requesting a modification or termination of an existing child custody, child support, or spousal support arrangement, don’t wait to get help. Our experienced Woodbury, NJ modification and termination lawyers can help you and your family work through these important issues so that you can reach the agreement that’s right for your circumstances as they exist now. To arrange a consultation, just contact our office to set up an appointment.

Circumstances That Can Justify Termination or Modification of a Child Custody Arrangement

Reaching an agreement over child custody arrangements is often one of the most difficult aspects of a divorce. Every parent wants the best for their children—and that usually involves maintaining a valuable relationship with each of the child’s parents.  

Understandably, it’s difficult to modify or terminate an existing child support agreement. You likely went to great lengths to reach an agreement in the first place—so the courts require a showing of substantially changed circumstances to make changes at a later date.

Generally, you’ll be required to show:

As always, it’s required to show that the change or termination is in the child’s best interests.  Factors that courts will consider include:

Modifying or terminating an existing child support agreement is never easy. It’s important that you have an experienced family law attorney by your side every step of the way. If you’re facing a request for modification or termination, or would like to explore your options, give us a call to set up an appointment with one of our skilled attorneys.  

Terminating or Modifying a Child Support Order

Child support is generally ordered based upon guidelines used by the New Jersey courts.  Those guidelines follow a fairly standard formula for determining each parent’s financial obligations.

That being said, you may have to modify your existing child support agreement to reflect changed circumstances. Either party can file a motion with the court to modify a child support agreement. Circumstances that will generally support such a modification include:

If you’d like to explore modifying or terminating an existing child support agreement, don’t hesitate to contact our offices to schedule a consultation.

Changing Your Existing Spousal Support Order

Spousal support, or alimony, is intended to maintain the financial position of divorcing spouses.  However, there are a number of circumstances under which an existing agreement might be modified or terminated. Those include:

Most spousal support agreements specify the time frame over which the recipient spouse will continue to receive alimony. The agreement can automatically terminate on that date. However, agreements can also be terminated early depending upon the circumstances.  

To explore your options and protect your rights, call our office today.

Contact Smedley Law Group, P.C. for a Consultation With an Experienced Woodbury Modification and Termination Attorney

To learn more about how a qualified Woodbury, NJ modification and termination lawyer can help your family with an existing child custody, child support, or spousal support agreement, contact Smedley Law Group, P.C. for a consultation today.

Frequently Asked Questions About Modifications and Terminations of Child Custody, Child Support, or Alimony Arrangements

FAQ: Won’t my child support arrangement terminate automatically under New Jersey law?

Yes. Under New Jersey law, child support obligations automatically terminate once the child reaches age 19. However, one parent can request continuing child support beyond age 19 and up to age 23 if:

– The child is still in high school or a secondary educational program
– The child is in college or another post-secondary educational program
– The child has a physical or mental disability that existed before the child reached 19, so that the child requires ongoing financial support.

Generally, child support obligations cannot be extended beyond the child’s 23rd birthday by court order.

FAQ: If I want to begin living with a new romantic partner, what should I do to protect my child custody rights?

Moving in with someone is always a big decision when you have children. That being said, it does happen. It’s best to be proactive. In other words, you may wish to reach a new agreement with your co-parent. Our lawyers can help you through the process so that you can avoid challenges at a later date.

Chess set

Ready to throw out the status quo?

Book a consult today.

Our powerhouse team of attorneys have chosen to devote their entire practice to family law, ensuring you have a support system of strong litigators who’ll work on your behalf in your unique situation. We listen and talk with you to determine your goals and desired outcomes, and then work with you to achieve them through our advocacy.

take that first step