Smedley Law Group Logo


18. Non-Dissolution Matters

Gloucester County Non-Dissolution Matters Attorney Located in Woodbury, NJ

Experienced Family Law Attorneys Fight for the Rights and Interests of Clients in Non-Dissolution Matters in Gloucester County and Throughout South Jersey

If you’re dealing with child custody, parenting time, or child support matters and aren’t married, this can be a somewhat daunting and complicated process, as you look to do what’s right for your family and children. These matters are called non-dissolution proceedings, under the “FD” Docket in New Jersey.

At Smedley Law Group, P.C., our attorneys understand if your children split time between two different households, this may present some unique challenges for you as an unmarried parent. And if you have a child with a person to who you aren’t married, you may be facing some tough decisions on caretaking and support so that your child has what he or she needs.

Unmarried partners are treated differently than married spouses in a number of ways in New Jersey. This can create various challenges, as the laws that apply to divorcing couples are different from the legal rights of unmarried couples. As a result, working out issues of support, parenting time, and child custody can be very complex. 

The actual rights of unmarried couples on separation can vary from case to case. At Smedley Law Group, P.C., our attorneys represent unmarried couples and parents in Gloucester County and throughout New Jersey. We know how to best protect your rights and advocate for you in non-dissolution proceedings.

To learn more about our practice and how we can help, contact us to schedule a consultation today.

What are Non-Dissolution Proceedings?

The Superior Court of New Jersey: Chancery Division, Family Part has a number of what it calls Non-Dissolution Courts, docketed under the title FD, which are called “Non-Dissolution” because parties before these courts were never married. These Non-Dissolution courts regularly try cases dealing with custody, child support, and parenting time for former couples who share a child but never married. 

In some circumstances, individuals who are still married and haven’t filed for divorce will go through non-dissolution proceedings just to seek temporary financial support. Adult siblings and grandparents can also file non-dissolution cases for custody, visitation, child support, and medical support.

The attorneys at Smedley Law Group, P.C. are experienced in non-dissolution proceedings and will help you navigate the process so that your interests and rights are protected. Our legal team is here to help you and your family.

Physical Child Custody: Residential Custody and Visitation

There are often disagreements regarding custody between unmarried parents. It can be quite difficult to decide how much time is given to each parent, especially when they want to be with their children as much as possible or have professional obligations that can block the amount of free time for their child. If you and your co-parent can’t agree, a judge will ultimately determine a physical custody and parenting time arrangement that’s in the best interests of the child. 

However, lawyers can often guide this conversation before it gets to court in an attempt to work out a mutually acceptable arrangement between you and your co-parent. At Smedley Law Group, P.C., our lawyers are experienced and knowledgeable in non-dissolution matters and will fight to protect your interests. 

For more information about non-dissolution matters in New Jersey, contact Smedley Law Group, P.C. to schedule a confidential discussion.

Legal Child Custody

Legal custody of a child refers to the consequential decisions a parent makes on behalf of their child, particularly regarding health, education, and general welfare. Custody arrangements are dictated by what’s in the best interests of the child.  However, with legal custody, as opposed to residential custody, both parties must demonstrate that they can effectively co-parent with one another. When parents aren’t in agreement on co-parenting, a joint legal custody arrangement may not work, perhaps necessitating an alternative arrangement. Communication can present challenges, especially on delicate and sensitive family decisions involving supervision, care, and custody of your children. At Smedley Law Group, P.C., our legal team is here to support you and help negotiate in your best interests. 

Child Support

Separate from child custody or parenting time, child support in New Jersey is determined based on a calculator called the New Jersey Child Support Guideline Worksheet. This worksheet is based upon a statutory criterion, which considers the number of children, the number of overnights with each parent, the gross incomes of each parent, alimony, health insurance, childcare, and other factors. It’s important to have an experienced family law attorney handle child support calculations and matters. The attorneys at Smedley Law Group, P.C. have the resources and expertise to guide you through this process and ultimately ensure that your child has everything he or she needs. 

Contact Smedley Law Group, P.C. Today for an Initial Consultation

At Smedley Law Group, P.C., our attorneys treat you with compassion and respect. Given the challenges and complexities posed by a non-dissolution matter, it’s important to have an experienced family law attorney guiding you through this process. We’ll help you in any non-dissolution matter and are here to support you and your children through this important time. We’ll fight for your rights and interests. Contact Smedley Law Group, P.C. for a confidential consultation.

Frequently Asked Questions About Non-Dissolution Matters in New Jersey

FAQ: Can non-married couples request a modification of a court order previously issued by the court?

Yes, non-married couples can request modifications of a non-dissolution “FD” court order previously issued by the court if the docket number starts with the letters FD. Some types of post-judgment modifications you can request include:
— Change(s) to an existing Child/Spousal Support Order
— Enforcement of the Current Support Order
— Change of existing Custody/Parenting Time Court Order
— Request to Relocate the Child(ren)/Opposition to Relocation
— Request to have a Bench Warrant/Detainer lifted (incarcerated defendants only)
— Emergent Application (Order to Show Cause).

FAQ: Is it worth hiring an attorney for a non-dissolution matter?

While it may seem costly to be represented by an attorney for non-dissolution matters, it’s well worth it. Without legal representation, you’ll be required to appear at all court appearances on your own, and you’ll have to speak to a judge without any guidance on how to present your case in the best light. It’s also highly unlikely that you’ll reach a fair resolution if you’re required to engage in settlement negotiations with the other parent or their representative without a legal advocate of your own. An experienced family law attorney will be fully aware of the laws, but will also know how to effectively present your case and get you the results you need. This added legal support can help you to avoid many of the roadblocks you’d otherwise encounter by trying to resolve a non-dissolution matter on your own. Contact Smedley Law Group, P.C. for a confidential consultation.

Chess set

Ready to throw out the status quo?

Book a consult today.

Our experienced team of attorneys have chosen to devote their entire practice to family law, ensuring you have a support system of strong litigators who’ll work on your behalf in your unique situation. We listen and talk with you to determine your goals and desired outcomes, and then work with you to achieve them through our advocacy.

take that first step